the update we’ve all been waiting for

First, let me thank you all again for covering our family in your prayers. We really have felt at ease.

Now, for the news. The news is… the same. They confirmed the diagnosis and, worse yet, the anticipated outcome. We got a better look at the defect – which we found includes the liver, bowel, stomach, and part of the right kidney. One end of his heart is also at the tip of the defect. I’m not sure what is wrong with the heart. It didn’t look “normal” to us. His spine makes a 90 degree turn not too far below the rib cage. His feet are okay, though. That was one thing that was better than what we had previously thought. Basically, though, there is just too much to fix so it’s not possible for them to fix it.

Their main concern is for my health. If I have any leaking, bleeding or contracting I am to call the doctor and go to the hospital immediately. Because Gabe’s cord is extremely short (I think the measurement was 4-5 cm) I am at risk for placental abruption. They were also concerned about uterine rupture due to my previous c-section. Neither of those things would bode well for me. SO, it looks like we’re on baby watch for the next 10-15 weeks. They wanted to make sure that the hospital back home has a good support system and we told them that they do. The OB also asked if we had used Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep when we had Felix. We did not because we didn’t know about it but I told her I had been looking at photographers and plan to contact one. (I would like to have a family photo shoot prior to Gabe’s birth – for us to have some family pics and so we can get to know each other; not meet under less than happy circumstances.)

So, there it is. It’s okay, though, because at least we know we had someone familiar with the condition assess him and can be comfortable that we’ve done what we can. And it’s not over yet. God has the final say and we will NOT stop asking for a miracle for Gabriel.

I’m going to wrap this up with some scripture. I signed up for the Beth Moore simulcast again this year. She will be speaking on Psalm 37 so I decided to read through it tonight.  I can’t wait to hear all that God wants me to get out of this as I stew on it.

3 Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:

6 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him…

18 The days of the blameless are known to the LORD,
and their inheritance will endure forever.

19 In times of disaster they will not wither;
in days of famine they will enjoy plenty.

We will not wither, we will delight ourselves in the LORD.

(P.S. – please feel free to leave a comment so I know who’s out there!  :))

the recap

I had intended to post again before now.  This is REALLY long since I’m catching up.  I thought about splitting it up but decided that was too much trouble for me.

To take up where I left off… we had a nice trip to the Smokys with the kids.  It was quite relaxing and good for the soul after getting the news that we did.  We just decided to take it slow and enjoy creation and our children.

We told the kids about Baby G (who we now know for sure is Gabriel Elliott).  We explained to them that he has a hole in his belly and that he is very sick and may not make it.  Dylan, 4 and a bit too interested in death after last year’s events, then says “You mean he will die?”  I said “Yes, buddy.”  Then he went on to talk about his pizza and that was the end of that.  For the night, anyway.  I knew that Chloe needed to let it settle in for a little while and formulate some questions. [Read more…]

a page is turned

So, that last post… ugh.

We got some bad news at our ultrasound. Baby G was diagnosed with Limb Body Wall Complex – a very rare and fatal condition. What has happened is the abdominal wall did not close and most of G’s organs are outside of the (we think his) body. Like that’s not bad enough they have fused to the placenta. He will probably go full term but will die during birth or very shortly after.

I think I’m still in a bit of shock. I just shook my head and said “No, not again. I will not bury another child.”

So, we have 2 choices: induce and deliver in a few weeks or carry full term and deliver then. Either way, the outcome is the same.

As for choosing hope like I mentioned in the last post: believe it or not there have been a few moments where I have been able to. They have been few but they are there. I told a couple of my friends that we are going to beg for a miracle and prepare for the worst.

We have gone away for a few days to mull things over and figure out how to break this news to the kids.

Here is my plea: Please pray for healing for our son. That is the footnote I want in the textbook – “Doctors were unable to determine the resolution – he was miraculously healed.”